Army leaders are trimming their payrolls, reassigning positions and leaving others vacant as they cope with declining federal spending on military operations.
Col. William Clark, garrison commander at Fort Riley, says the installation has trimmed its payroll from 1,100 employees to 1,040. The goal is to be at 960 civilian employees by the end of the federal fiscal year.
Fort Leavenworth had a target of 125 positions.
The reductions are being achieved by early retirements and attrition. In areas where employment is more than the desired amount, workers are being offered the chance to be reassigned elsewhere on the posts to maintain jobs.
Army officials said Thursday the cuts are in line with spending reductions approved earlier this year by Congress and President Barack Obama.